- Install the remoteit Desktop application on your Mac.
- Enable RealVNC Server on the Raspberry Pi.
- Install the remoteit Device package on your Raspberry Pi
- Add a remoteit Service for VNC on port 5900
If you wish to use Screen Sharing on Mac with your Pi, then "VNC authentication" mode needs to be set.
- Alternatively, you can use RealVNC server with RealVNC viewer installed on your Mac without configuring VNC authentication. The default setting “UNIX Authentication” should work OK.
Open your Raspberry Pi’s GUI (either using the hardware video output connected to a monitor or using RealVNC viewer with the Pi's LAN address). Now, to set the VNC authentication mode, click on the VNC icon in the upper right hand corner.
Next, click the 3-line button in the right hand corner, and click “Options”.
Under “Security”, change the “UNIX Authentication” to “VNC password”. Setting this password allows Mac screen sharing to work.
To set this password, Go to “Users & Permissions”. Then click “Password” on the right-hand side. Then enter a password. You will use this when using Mac Screen Sharing.
Then click “Ok”.
If the screen is too zoomed in to select “Ok” you must zoom out. You can do this by entering the command
into the terminal of your Pi. Then select 7 Advanced Options > A5Resolution > DMT Mode 85
Also see this article from the Pi Foundation which describes how to set the VNC Authentication mode using command line only.