Simply put we enable management of your remote devices by supporting connections, script execution, and access control.
- Remote.it provides simple and secure on demand connections
- No need to port forward. As a result, removes the attack surface for port scanning and DOS attacks
- Access for hard to reach devices on cellular, satellite or other CGNAT networks where public IP addresses are not available or transient.
- Supports LAN Sharing and Jump Box
- Can cross multiple NATs/firewalls
- Supports cloud resource management like AWS to eliminate complicated IAM roles.
- Can eliminate the need for costly VPNs or be used in conjunction with a VPN to harden the access
- Supports many protocols and applications such as SSH/SCP, VNC/RDP/Screen Share, web servers and node-red, SMB, UDP, and most other TCP protocols such as MQTT.
- Connect from your Mobile device to your other devices e.g. SSH
- Push scripts and execute them on your Linux devices using bash, Python, php, etc.
- Manage access to your devices by remote.it email accounts rather than IP allow lists and only to the devices or services you determine
Remote.it provides several applications which vary on functionality and package size. Choose the one right for you.
- Desktop - Provides support to start connections and optionally support inbound connections. Supports P2P and proxy connections as well as remote configuration of your other devices. Manage your account and access to your devices as well.
- CLI - Provides support to start connections and optionally support inbound connections via a command line interface. Supports P2P and proxy connections as well as remote configuration of your other devices. Use this when you want to machine programming without a user present.
- Device Package - Installs our smallest package, the remoteit agent. Use this option when you only need to support inbound connections and/or script execution on the device.
- Web portal - Use this option when you cannot install the Desktop or CLI on the device you want to use to connect. Connections are proxy only. Manage you account and access to your devices as well.
- Mobile - Use this option on your mobile devices on the go to connect to your devices and receive notifications about your devices and account. Android can support P2P or Proxy connections. iOS devices are proxy only
If you need to connect to just a few devices, let's get you started.
You will need:
- Install remote.it Desktop the device you will use to connect to with other devices OR use the web portal
- A remote.it account
- Install remote.it on the devices you want to connect to
Follow the guide here.
Are you setting up many devices which have the same specs such as hardware and OS? You can use our OEM solutions to fit your needs. Whether you are a deploying your own fleet of devices like Raspberry Pis or reselling your products and want them to be remote.it enabled, we provide support to streamline installation and registration.
Setting up your own fleet
If you only need to support receiving connections, you can use our lightweight device package. Customize the device names and optimize access control for your users who would need access. You will create a device image and then can use that image in your manufacturing. These devices will register to your account and have pre-set services setup in remote.it. Learn more about the setup.
Need to support both initiating and receiving connections, use the CLI where you would use machine to machine connections for automation? Learn more about the CLI setup here.
Do you resell your device and want to provide the device owner with remote.it access? For example routers or security systems. You will pre-install remote.it but it will not be registered until the device owner creates a remote.it account and uses their key and sets up the device. Learn more about the setup.
Account and Access Management
remote.it is free for up to 5 non-commercial devices and we offer plans which offer additional functionality. See our pricing page for more information.
We offer Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) for additional account security for all accounts. SAML is also available for businesses.
Let’s look at the different ways to grant access, so you can see what will work for you. It is recommended that you use one of the methods below to instantly add or remove access for individuals, rather than sharing a user login to keep your remote.it accounts secure.
At a high level, organizations allow you to give access to users to all of your devices that exist now and in the future. This access can be limited to just connections to all services of the devices within the organization or additionally allowing users to manage devices. Organizations are available for use in the beta-portal, desktop and mobile applications. Learn more.
With sharing you control precisely which devices and/or services are shared and can be accessed to run scripts. Sharing is controlled individually on devices and if desired for individual services. For example, you may want to share the entire device (all services) to Mary and only allow Bob access to the HTTP service on the same device. You have the control. Learn more.
- Peer to Peer (P2P) vs Proxy
- Connections are ready when you want to work with them
- Work in your applications with a persistent url on initiating machine
- LAN Sharing
- Jump Box
- Cloud resource access (AWS) without complicated IAM rules.
- Native support of services such as SSH, VNC, HTTP(s), OpenVPN, Minecraft/Terraria + many more
- No open ports - remote.it works without requiring port forwarding in the router, significantly reducing your network's vulnerability
- Cellular, Satellite and CGNAT support
It is recommended that you use one of the methods below to instantly add or remove access for individuals, rather than sharing a user login to keep your remote.it accounts secure. Learn more about managing access
Get in app notifications when your devices come online and offline, have connections started and ended. You can also sign up for email notifications or use our webhook integration.
We also provide logs of the activities on the account including sign in, sharing, device online/offline, and connections. Available history is variable based on subscription with 7 days for personal plan and 30 days for professional.
Remote.it offers a graphQL API which supports flexible queries to retrieve and update the information you want and nothing else.
Remote.it provides a mechanism to push script files and execute them on selected devices. This takes the place of repetitive actions you may be doing on each device. Support is available for Linux based OS. Learn more.
Need to install remote.it on many devices with the same hardware and software profile? You can create as many images as you need for different hardware and OS combinations that you need. We have a couple of methods to fit your needs. Get started here
remote.it uses encrypted tunnels to establish Peer to Peer connections between devices. This is a zero trust connection with authentication and authorization between users and devices with connections supported at Layer 3 of the OSI model.
The remote.it principles of security follow the recognized security principles of “AIC” or Availability, Integrity, and Confidentiality. One of the most important features of the remote.it system is the complete elimination of open ports.
Support and Other Resources
YouTube - We have a number of detailed how-to videos