Release date: August 16, 2021
Platform: remote.it device package v4.13 for Debian, Ubuntu and Linux distributions.
Please note: This package only installs the target agent (meaning it supports only connections to the device and not the device initiating connections to another device) and introduces some new features including:
Installation and Registration Improvements
- Simple command line installation
- Easier registration process using claim codes
- Improved experience for provisioning devices and configuring services on those devices.
- remote.it configuration on the device is no longer stored locally on the device itself making it easier to clone, transfer, and restore device configurations.
- Service configurations previously managed on the device administration panel (which required a connection to the device) are now managed by the remote.it desktop applications providing a better device setup and management experience. NOTE: Only the device owner can make these changes.
- Creating new services
- Updating services such as port assignments, name, type, enabling and disabling.
- Removing services
Improved Device Manufacturing Support
- Once a device has been set up, you can then use the image on other devices by adding a configuration file which will allow the device to automatically register and setup into your account. OEM Documentation coming soon.
- Install and run on smaller, memory-constrained embedded systems
- Large dependency libraries such as Node no longer required
- Less than 300KB
- OpenWrt is now a supported
Q: I am using a previous version of the device package in my production environment for new devices, will the old version still work?
A: Yes. You can continue to use older versions, but they will no longer be available on our download page.
Q: I need my devices to be able to initiate connections to devices using remote.it, should I use this new package?
A: No. You should use the desktop applications or CLI to support this.
Q: Can I upgrade existing devices to take advantage of the remote configuration features?
A: Yes. See https://link.remote.it/docs/device-package/upgrades for instructions. Your device will be converted to use the new configuration and retain the existing services and configuration.
Q: I don't see Windows supported, is that available?
A: No, not yet. For now you will continue to use either the CLI stand alone or the remote.it Windows desktop application.
Q: I currently use CLI and/or a remote.it Windows or Mac application on my devices. Can I remotely configure a CLI or desktop device from my machine?
A: No, not yet. Only the remoteit Device Package can be remotely configured. Rest assured remote.it is working on bringing this functionality to all of our applications and support to other distributions.